The oversized sweater has taken over. It’s a trend that will be around for a while, so it’s time you add one to your wardrobe. One? Maybe two or three or four! They are super comfortable and easy to pair with other items in your closet. They can be worn with skinny jeans, over flouncy tennis skirts, over dresses, with cut off denim shorts…the possibilities are endless.
(from left to right:
I love these ones above because, as you can see, they can easily be dressed up! Ok let’s get to it…
Here are my TIPS when picking out an oversized sweater:
- This might sound redundant, but you really do need to make sure it’s oversized. There’s a time and a place for a fitted sweater, but here and now, it needs to be a sweater that you could fit two of you in.
- Long – the sweater should be long. Not wide and boxy. Long will always be more flattering.
2. It should be the only baggy thing you’re wearing
- I’ve mentioned this before, baggy with baggy equals saggy. You don’t want to be a baggy mess. If you pair the oversized sweater with skinny jeans or some denim shorts…you’ll look chicer than chic! Baggy boyfriend jeans may not be the best idea to pair with an oversized sweater. Don’t get me wrong, I love boyfriend jeans, but just like anything else, they have a time and a place.
- These oversized sweaters are going to look best when you pick a sweater that is a thinner fabric that moves easily. The reason for this, is that when you move, you should be able to tell the sweater is flowing around your body that is smaller than the sweater. This will give ensure the sweater will be most flattering and you’ll still be able to show off your curves you’ve got underneath, just in a subtle way.
- If the fabric is too thick, it won’t move freely, and will end up being more boxy and unflattering.
4. Dressy vs. Casual
- The more sleek and basic the oversized sweater, the easier it will be to dress up. The ones above for sure, and even this black one below could be paired with some slacks or leather skirt and be great!
- The more casual ones below are the grey and striped ones because they have more texture and are a little on the bulkier side of my examples. For that reason, they automatically will just look casual.
- So keep that in mind – what you pair them with isn’t the only thing that determines its dressiness…the fabric also matters!
Here are some cute casual examples of the oversized sweater! I like how the right one is tucked-in in front, super cute!
Ok, there you have it…my tips for the Oversized Sweater. Remember to send me any and all questions! All these sweaters are from Nordstrom.com…so buy away! Nordstrom has free returns and seamless exchanges, so it’s super easy to buy online with them. Go rock your best oversized sweater!