First and foremost, do we know what defines a “Pencil Skirt”. I’ll tell you! It’s is a knee length skirt that is straight up and down in the fit (like a pencil!…get it? 🙂 ). It is longer than a mini skirt and shorter than a maxi skirt.
Everyone needs at least one pencil skirt in their closet. It’s piece that’s very versatile – from a casual day to a work day. You can pair them with oversized sweaters, oversized cardigans, blouses, t-shirts, tank tops…see? Super versatile.
Cute fit, on trend color, correct length…
Let’s get down to business…
Here are my TIPS for How To Wear A Pencil Skirt:
- I started with some darling Pencil Skirts above with color. These are great for spring and summer and can be dressed up or dressed down.
- Skirts with a solid color are my favorite or with a texture or small print. The bigger print is harder to wear for anyone.
- Bright colors are the ones that are “in”, like the ones above…darker colors like maroon, forest green, grey, or black are going to look more “business” if that’s what you’re going for.
- A pencil skirt should fit you in the waist at about your belly button. They should be fitted, but not too tight. You don’t want any muffin top. It should be comfortable.
- It should fall straight down with no pulling or creasing. Getting the right size is important. You may need to have it altered to fit your body just right. When it fits just right, you’ll look most pulled together. Sometimes I’ve seen them be too curvy for people on the hip area. Watch for this too. It should fit your shape.
- The length should be about an inch above your knee cap. This is ideal. Some pencil skirts, however, go below the knee. If they do, they should be tapered toward the bottom hem. This ensures the correct silhouette. I’ll show you some examples…
Correct way for below the knee:
See how they all taper just a bit around the knee? Just the right silhouette!
Here are a few more of my favorites…
(from left to right:
You can wear lots of different shoes with these skirts. I just wouldn’t wear tall boots. That looks a little bit too covered up. Show off those legs girl! Ankle boots are great, though! Heels, pointy pumps, strappy sandals…all great!
Also, avoid most denim pencil skirts. They just aren’t in. I’ve seen SOME distressed ones that are kind of cute, but generally they are a NO.
Hope you like these ones I’ve picked out for you! Don’t hesitate to tell me what you think by leaving comments below.